Saturday, November 26, 2011

Forrest Gump on God

One of my absolute favorite movies is Forrest Gump. I'm watching it with my family right now, because it's an awesome film.


Obviously the film covers lots of themes, like life, death, and god. I think the part that makes me the saddest that lots of people miss is the part where Forrest and Jenny run away from Jenny's abusive father.





Young Jenny: Pray with me, Forrest. Pray with me. Dear God, make me a bird, so I can fly far, far far away from here. Dear God, make me a bird...

Forrest: Mama always said that God is mysteriousHe didn't turn Jenny into a bird that day. Instead, he had the police say that Jenny didn't have to stay in that house no more. She went to live with her grandma, just over on Greekmore Ave. Which made me happy 'cause she was so close. Some nights, Jenny's sneaked out and come on over to my house, just 'cause she said she was scared. Of what? I don't know, but I think it was her grandma's dog. He was a mean dog. Anyway, Jenny and me was best friends all the way up through high school.  [Emphasis mine.]
This makes me so mad, because it's so true. How many abused children pray for a god they're told loves them to give them a safe place to live? Or gay children who try to 'pray away the gay?' Or people with terminal diseases who pray to be healed or take away the pain? And how often does he answer? (hint: never)


And yet, when god fails and a police officer or medical doctor steps in, people thank god.



Here's a link to the clip, if you've never seen it before.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to push back a little because I feel that polite feedback and disagreement is a healthy thing. If you feel i'm being impolite or too pushy say so and I'll back down.
    I firmly believe that G-d does answer prayer. I think he uses police, doctors, ect to answer prayer. Sometimes it might seem easier for him just to swoop down and make things right, but he doesn't. I don't have all the answers, and I'm learning to be okay with that. I guess that's where faith comes in, believing in what we cannot understand. Just over 3 years ago, the doctors told me I was going to die. Blood vessels in my brain were getting ready to explode. They had no answers. There was no surgery they could do, no medicine they could give me. My faith community rallied around me and we prayed. I'm alive today. The doctors have no answer for it.
    Not every prayer is answered that way, but sometimes they are. Other times, G-d uses people.

    ReplyDelete